I periodically update my Artist’s Statement and Bio to reflect what I am working on. I just made some changes yesterday, so this is the perfect time for me to reintroduce myself!
Artist’s Statement – I have a holistic approach to art, seeing no distinction between high and low, or between sacred and secular. My influences range from Jack Kirby and Filmation Studios to Andy Warhol and Fra Angelico. Whatever is bold and exciting catches my eye. Using acrylic paint or cutout and collage, I manufacture pure pop pleasure. I continue to feel the pull of a childhood devoted in equal parts to the Bible and Marvel Comics.
Bio – Dean Johnson developed his pop art brand at Columbia College Chicago, where he studied under Corey Postiglione, Carol Halliday-McQueen, and Louise LeBourgeois. For over 10 years he served and inspired his community by organizing group art shows, workshops, and a neighborhood art walk. Dean’s work has appeared in the Alumni on 5 exhibit and at Navy Pier. Dean’s commissions include numerous portrait paintings, as well as postcard designs and corporate logos.
- Lead Organizer for Art on Ashland, the East Village Art Walk, in 2015
- Board Member for ChiPRC, the Chicago Publishers Resource Center
- Led over 20 art workshops over 2 years; partnered with 5 organizations
- Was named Top-Rated Teacher by Dabble for art workshops
- Lead Organizer for NIA (Northside Independent Artists) for 3 years
- Curated 3 group shows, working with 5 other artists
- Most successful show, Chicago Art, sold 65 pieces
- Participated in 11 exhibits, including Catholic Charities Gala of the Arts
- Designed original logos for companies Athletic Souls and The Souls Journey
- Illustrated John Wawrzaszek’s book, Field Manual: Human Body
- Generated promo images for CAKE fundraisers, 2012 and 2013
- Founding member of Third Thursday Club, which offered monthly figure drawing
- Designed postcards for theater companies including TUTA
- Designed flyers for rock band Arch Visceral Parlor and DJ Elle Madelyn